The 2016 Montford Music and Arts Festival was a huge success, thanks in no small part to our amazing team of volunteers. Over 70 volunteers signed up to help in a variety of roles. And if you are interested in helping with our next festival, the information below will give you an idea of what we will need for 2017.
Part One = 100!
This is one of those “it takes a village" times! We need 100 neighbors to support the actual “day of” the event this year. Why 100? We’re growing dramatically in popularity and reputation. More vendors! More food! More music! Being great takes more volunteers. If you have only attended in the past – know that by volunteering for a short 2-3 hour shift you will be part of the equation for our success (plus you get a visor). See the job descriptions in part three below.
We need 100 neighbors, friends of neighbors, and friends of friends of neighbors even if they don’t live in Montford, relatives you like or even don’t like, you get the picture.
Part Two = signupgenius.com!
This is the catalyst to our equation - how to sign up. We are using a simple electronic method – the genius part. Simply go to signupgenius.com. This website allows volunteers to see all the time slots during the day and the various roles we need for volunteers. You can simply log on, put in your desired time and role and signupgenius.com will send you reminder notices. See Signup Genius Instructions for detailed signup instructions.
Please allow us some flexibility. For example, all volunteers cannot do Barricade duty from 10-12:30! Sign up for your preferred role and time. Let us shift things a bit if we need to.
We prefer volunteers use signupgenius.com. We are working to not be “manual” with 100 folks needed! If however you are not an internet person you can contact Shana Kriewall (828-253-3714). Please leave your name, cell number, preferred role and shift time.
Part Three = The volunteer teams!
- Festival Notification: These volunteer responsibilities are completed prior to the festival. You will inform neighbors who live and park in the festival footprint about the festival and street closures via fliers placed on porches and cars and signs placed on telephone poles. See the full description.
- Vendor Booth Marking: These volunteer responsibilities are completed the day before the festival. You will meet the vendor coordinator at the Montford Store and, using tape measure and spray paint, mark and number 10’ booth spaces for vendors and artists on Montford and Soco streets.
See the full description.
- Pre-Festival Truck Convoy: We need a team of neighbors who own trucks to help us transport tables, bins and tents from the Montford Community Center to the Festival site. This role includes physical labor with tables, trash bins, tents, etc. Equipment will be used for the four MNA sponsored booths. These must be picked up before 6 p.m. on Friday afternoon before the festival. This equipment must be secured over night and then delivered Saturday at 7:00 a.m. See the full description.
- Pre-Festival Setup: This role includes some physical labor with tables, tents, chairs, etc. Volunteers are predominantly needed to aid in the setup chairs around the Montford and Soco Stage, set up 4 MNA supported booths with tables and tents and possibly help keep the flow of traffic going during Vendor setup. You may be asked to support David Baker and Ben Scales for stages as well as Jerry Connors for vendor setup. See the full description.
- Street Closing: Ideally, one team will do both Set Up and Tear Down for signage. This role includes some physical labor with signs, barricades and sign stands. Volunteers are predominantly needed to aid in the closing of Montford Ave (between Chestnut E. Waneta)., Cullowhee (between Montford Ave and Cumberland Ave, Soco St (between Montford and Cumberland), and Cullowhee (between Pearson and Montford Ave). Some directional signage (detour, etc.) will also be present in the neighborhood for the festival. See the full description.
- Street Barrier Attendants: Festival Barricades are used to block off and direct traffic away from the streets being used during the festival hours. Barricade monitors are needed to help oversee the integrity of the barricades by directing the flow of pedestrians and keeping vehicles from ignoring the signs and trying to bypass the barricades. These volunteers are an important part of the festival providing help, safety and security while manning the different barricade locations. See the full description.
- MNA Welcome Booth: This booth will be staffed by MNA Board Members or neighbors who are highly active in our Association. The MNA Welcome Booth, located at Cullowhee & Montford is an information booth about our neighborhood, its history, events and the festival, our accomplishments for the last year, etc. In addition to disseminating festival information, newsletters and Montford brochures, it will also be the sale area for any festival merchandise on hand. See the full description.
- Silent Auction Booth: In addition to welcome attendees and answering festival questions, this team will explain silent auction procedures and remind attendees to check back to see if they have been outbid to return to pay for their item at the end of the auction. See the full description.
- Recycle/Waste Monitors: Keeping the festival as green as possible is the goal this year. Volunteers collect recycling and trash and place in the dumpster throughout the festival. 1-800-Got Junk truck will be available all day located at Soco and Montford. See the full description.
- Band Photographers: Volunteer of experienced photographers are needed to shoot performers or band pictures for our Soco Street venue. These will be used in promotional materials for both the bands and future Montford Festivals. See the full description.
- Post-Festival Barricade Attendants: Festival barricades are used to block off and direct traffic away from the streets being used during the festival. Barricade monitors are needed to help oversee the integrity of the barricade by keeping vehicles from ignoring the signs and trying to bypass the barricades. These volunteers are an important part of the festival providing help, safety and security. See the full description.
- Post-Festival Tear Down: This role includes some physical labor with tables, tents, chairs, etc. Volunteers are predominantly needed to aid in the tear down of chairs around the Montford and Soco Stage, tear down of 4 MNA supported booths with tables and tents and possibly help keep the flow of traffic going during Vendor tear down. See the full description.
- Post-Festival Truck Convoy: We need a team of neighbors who own trucks to help us transport tables, bins and tents from the Montford Festival site on Saturday evening after the festival to the Montford Community Center. This role includes physical labor with tables, trash bins, tents, etc. Equipment may be picked up at the Festival site around 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. See the full description.